Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Swallowtail Shawl is finished!

I finished the Swallowtail Shawl. It took 2 months, and I ignored it quite a bit, but it's done and given away. I liked knitting the edging better than the center, and yes, I even liked doing the nupps. Knitting this was pretty magical, if it hadn't been for an excellent chart by Eunny Jang, I could not have wrapped my head around how this work out. It's pretty amazing.



Blocking this was fun. I had this blob of alpaca, got it wet, then with some kite string and pins - voila! Look what happened! I used kite string for the top edge, and I got some quilt pins (with birght yellow balls on the ends - hard to miss if you forget one) that were nickel plated and 1 3/4" long. I made sure they were rust proof by letting one sit one the sink all day in a bit of water. I put a thick beach towel on the bed and stretched the shawl and pinned it out. The alpaca dried very quickly, and blocking it wasn't the dreadful chore I imagined it would be.



Swallowtail Shawl from Interweave Knits
Misti Alpaca 2 ply lace, less than 1 skein, 38 gm used
Size 4 Addi Lace needles



Cupcake and Ollie.

2 comments:

Linda said...

It looks fabulous, well worth the pain!

prairiegirl said...

The shawl is so pretty!

Kitties are really cute too! :)