Sunday, October 12, 2008

Today

Thought I'd show you what I was involved in today. Fujima Ryu of Chicago had their annual recital and I helped (and ate Japanese food back stage). Of course I don't have a complete set of photos, and these photos were from the summer...okay, whatever. Here's what I've got and it's the same stuff and it's a blog post, so there.



Here are some of the wigs. As beautiful as they are they hurt like h*ll sometimes. They are made of human hair on a metal base and the wig making process is rather secretive.



Prepping for the white make-up. You have to apply a layer of a special wax in order to have an even coat of white, if you miss a spot the white gets blotchy and soaks in - then you have to start all over again. Not fun. White boogers for a couple of days. Ew.



Fujima Sensei getting the kimono ready. The dance kimono can be quite heavy and have many layers.

That's all I've got....

1 comment:

jpknits said...

I went to a kabuki make-up workshop this summer at my theatre conference.

I'll have to find a picture. I did a lousy job, but it had been a long time since the last time I did such a workshop. Interesting to see what a person remembers and what is forgotten.

Sounds like your event went very well. Will have to find out what's on the schedule for Feb 09 and following!