Wednesday, August 12, 2009

How was Sock Summit?

To start, I arrived at the airport at the same time as Barbara Walker. As I was walking to baggage claim I saw someone holding a sign for "B.G. Walker" with a photo of yarn on it! What a way to start my trip! I knew I was in for a very special event.

Registration went very smoothly, and someone behind me kinneared Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. I kinneared the Convention Center carpet - not shown.



I did manage to photograph Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, Tina Newton, Anna Zilborg and Rachel H of ST-2, not well, but I was trying to be discreet you know. I was volunteering and I had to be responsible. It was an awesome place to people watch, I saw Priscilla Gibson-Roberts, Sivia Harding (with a very ginseng-y looking carrot with 2 legs), and many more people. Stephanie, Tina and Rachel H ran around during the entire Sock Summit, how those women remained upright and conscious, I do not know.



At the Opening Reception I took some photos:





That beauty of a shawl on the left? Dianna. Rav link here.






Not just a Clapotis in the wild, Stephanie is photographing her sock, which turned out to be Tina's sock of love.




The Yarn Harlot and me with disastrous hair and Lucy Neatby with her back to me.
My hair looked so bad she couldn't even face me. LOL, I kid, I kid.



The disastrous hair continues with Judy of "Judy's Magic Cast On" fame.


It had been such a great day, volunteering, dim sum for lunch with some wonderful Ravelers, and then I headed to the Chinese Garden. I stopped for tea at The Tao of Tea, a gentleman was playing the loveliest Chinese music and the tea was delicious, and I thought I might not return to Sock Summit. I didn't make it for the mayhem at the opening of the market, and that was okay. It took me 3 tries to get into the Blue Moon Fiber Arts booth. Sanguine Gryphon? Couldn't get in. The booth was packed. I must say it was the cutest booth because it had a tent top and pretty oriental rugs and the proprietresses had on lovely Renaissance Faire outfits.

The Opening Reception was in the enormous Oregon Ballroom at the Convention Center and was full of Summiteers. It was a lovely evening and Stephanie and Tina made me laugh and want to cry, and most of all they made me so happy that I decided to come to the Summit. Barbara Walker got a standing ovation, it was wonderful.

I had so much fun volunteering that I did it again the next morning for the Guinness World Record attempt. "2 needles in your project, not 4, doors open at 11:30, the event is scheduled to start at 12:15. You will have plenty of time to make it after your class ends at 12:00." I had that part down, but what the heck happened to my hair here? Yikes!

Thanks to Leila at DekoBoko Designs for this photo!


After this I ran to my Ethnic Sock lecture by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. She was awesome! She walked into the room saying "I'm not really a rock star y'all!" and we replied "Yes you are!"
She had some really amazing samples and slides.

We ran out to be in time for the World Record Attempt...








It's not official yet, but there were 900+ knitters there...

I just had such a wonderful time. I got a big hug from Tina when I went to say goodbye, and that was the perfect end to my time at the Convention Center. There was so much positive energy, and I was just so happy to be there.

I did go to he Ravelry party, but I was so tired by the time I got there I ran out of steam. I sat and chatted and barely moved.

Here are a couple of photos that turned out okay and that I like.

Check out the head gear! I love it!


Look! I met Turtlegirl! Her blog is fantastic and she is so cute and so very nice and she didn't even run away from my bad hair!



I know I haven't really said much, and my photos are pretty crappy but that's the best I can do right now. Even though my hair was bad, and I didn't make it to Voodoo Donuts, I had a great time and I will probably have a smile on my face for the next few weeks.

Maybe I'll show you my Summit yarn pron in the next post!

:)

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Fantastic!
Priscilla Gibson-Roberts lives near one of my sisters, who happened to interview for a local paper some years ago. My sister was telling me about this knitter and I was like "Oh I know about her!"