Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Skein Insecurity

You know how it is when you start a new skein and it feels so full, you dig out the yarn barf to find the end on the inside of the skein and start knitting away happily. When you knit a bit, you squeeze the skein feeling confident and secure that it is still quite full and there is plenty of yarn in there still...then when you have knit a bit more you look over at the skein and it's has lost the fullness and is looking somewhat gaunt...that's when it hits...skein insecurity!

You panic and think that you may possibly run out of this yarn!!! Even when you know you have a second and third skein waiting in the wings, there is still that sense of panic that YOU MAY RUN OUT OF YARN, then what? Use a different yarn? No. A different color? No, and yes, everyone does notice - well, okay, not EVERYONE, but everyone who knits and has either run out of yarn or experienced skein insecurity.

I suppose I could just weigh the darn skein and calm myself down, couldn't I? I don't know, I think I'd still fret about not having enough to finish my project.

It's not just me is it? Well?

3 comments:

Marcy said...

NOT the Mohair?!?!?!

Brenda said...

Lets just say that yarn insecurity led me to purchase some extra blue cotton yarn that I was making a sweater out of a few years back. I had enough of that blue cotton yarn left over that I made an entire baby blanket. It wasn't a small blanket either.

Barb said...

Um, yes. I'm finishing a tank top and have only one ball left. There's very little knitting left, but maybe I should go to WEBS and buy just one more, just in case...if there's leftovers, they'll make a nice preemie cap...