Friday, April 22, 2011

I used to be cool.

When I was a teenager I used to hang out at the best record store ever - Wax Trax! Chicago was the most exciting place to be. They had the best music, and it was the epicenter of the punk/alternative (before it was alternative) music scene in the early 80's (they advised John Hughes on music for the brat pack movies).
I was always welcome there, and everyone was really great and fun. 
The cake being assembled.


The back of the cake.


The front of the cake, a replica of the old Wax Trax! store front.
This is the cake made by the amazing Bleeding Heart Bakery, and not only did it absolutely capture the essence of Wax Trax!, it was delicious.

The stories I have about the things I did and the people I met are pretty incredible.

Anyhow, here are some photos of some of the people that meant so much to me when I was a young punk.

Joe Shanahan of Metro and Mark Clifton

The incomparable Julia Nash and Larry Crandus doing the best robot dance ever!

Get down Larry!

A photobomb attempt.

Bill & I


Larry & I. I wore my infamous vintage monkey fur coat as a surprise for him.

My rock & roll girlfriends, H and D.
The Wax Trax! gang.
So much fun, so many memories, so long ago.

3 comments:

Marcy said...

I always knew you were cool, but man!

Lizz said...

You still are cool. Love the cake!

A :-) said...

WaxTrax - way to take me back!