Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cat Bordhi


OH MY GOD
!!!!

Cat Bordhi is a knitting genius. She is utterly amazing. I took a weekend workshop with her (courtesy of the Windy City Knitting Guild) and I don't think I will ever look at a knitting pattern in quite the same way.

I have to admit, I was not too enthusiastic about the workshop. I mean I like to knit socks, and I love good designs, but I'd found the square heel and I was loving it and that's that. I don't need weird to make a sock worth knitting and from the photos I'd seen, I was just, meh.

Class started with some sock diagrams, and she used a wonderful large sock as a sample for talking about sock parts. Cat was so organized and had a well thought out presentation. She also had excellent handouts that were very well designed, clear and concise.

Our first knitting was a knitted bowl to practice Cat's clever short row "non-heel"- that alone was worth it's weight in gold! That was fun! We used Judy Becker's Magic Cast On, and Cat's Wrap & Turns, and then the awesome short row technique.
(Links are to Cat's You Tube videos)






Leftover Noro Silk Garden

Then we moved onto a baby sock, with a garter stitch toe. There is no right way to make it, that it is absolutely the knitter's choice. She had so many tricks and tips, I hope my brain absorbed most of it. Some of it was just simple common sense if you had taken the time to wonder how to improve the "proven" methods.




Lorna's Laces Shepherd's Worsted in Sherbet

Her socks were amazing. Photos do NOT do them justice. Trust me.

If you ever hear that Cat is teaching, sign up immediately, it will change how you approach your knitting and really help you think and analyze what you do and what you want to do.

Did I mention that Cat Bordhi is a genius?

1 comment:

A Crafty Lawyer said...

I agree wholeheartedly -- I took a class with Cat at Stitches East a couple of years ago, and she's a fantastic teacher.